Thursday, August 5, 2010

25

I been having a meaningful me-talk over a beer with a friend last night, when I was struck by the reality of his remark as to 25 being a turning point in life, where you need to start making sure you head the right direction, as to ensure blissful adulthood. All things considered, this has reaffirmed my inner concerns of how fast the last few years have passed, and how little I have managed to do, and that 25 actually feels different than 23 or 24. I guess this partially motivates me to start a journey in pursuit of something different, refreshing and awakening, but the question is do I need a purpose before I start this adventure or will I find it as I untangle the mysteries of the world? It would be wonderful if the intersections of life had street pointers... but for as long as the decision is all yours it's hard to envision what sort of opportunities are hidden behind the various blocks of circumstances.

"Where do you want to be in 5 years?", you ask me. Well, I do not have an answer. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Every little event has a potential of changing our lives and sticking to a career plan with every step thought through might not be the most flexible approach. On the other hand, I have been open to opportunities in the past couple of years, but they haven't come knocking on my door... perhaps, I should have had a little more determination in going out and tracking the bastards downs!

The resolutions of the day:
- Perhaps, the answer is to picture the "worst" case scenario, so to speak a minimum achievements plan, for where you want to be in 5 years, and then work towards exceeding that, being prepared for a change whenever the lightning of opportunity strikes.
- Stop using the words "perhaps" and "maybe"
- Enough of blaming the circumstances, or lack thereof. It's like a game of chess - overall, the number of moves are finite, but at every turn the options are vast - use your brain to find the one to bring you closer to the victory. And for as long as there is no check-mate, don't give up.

No comments: