Saturday, October 30, 2010

Reunion and Reminiscence

I was digging through my old emails, when I ran into an article I wrote for Bradley Herald a few years back. Awh, those memories.

Reunion and reminiscence

I often refer to the Future Leaders Exchange Program as the most rewarding experience of mylife. It is hard to imagine what I would be doing now, had not there been one-year in-depthexposure to an American culture. This exchange program truly “made” my life and determined the person I was to become.

Such a positive experience would never be possible without a loving host family. I will never forget the warm welcome I was given by the Wall family in the first weeks of my exchange program, and all the support they have shown to a confused 16-year
old student trying to adjust to a new culture.

Today, four and a half years later, after having visited many other countries, I am blessed with an opportunity to revisit the town of Quitman in the south of Georgia, and reunite with my host family for Thanksgiving holidays. The dream that I nurtured for years has come true, and I am revisiting my past with a feeling of excitement and joy.

My trip was preceded with months of anticipation. I have recollected many of my American memories to see how those US experiences affected my vision of life, my values and my goals. I have realized that this exchange program has benchmarked my future experiences. And visiting my host family today I have a unique opportunity to compare what I have seen years ago to what I see today.

I made quite a few interesting observations. I have realized that being an exchange student you spend months trying to adjust to the new culture, and by the time you are part of this culture you fail to appreciate the differences as the connection with the home culture starts fading. The experiences I am having today are very different and my current position allows for a better understanding of both cultures.

First of all, I was accepted as an adult and things that I said mattered. I had numerous conversations with members of my host family on various serious issues that would not be possible 4 years ago. We have discussed complex political, economic and social questions that emphasized the vast distinctions that exist between our countries.

One of the biggest changes I have observed in the American people is a growing interest in how the rest of the world perceives the United States and its foreign policies. Once indifferent Americans, have become politically aware and concerned with the role the US plays in the world, the dangers posed in front of the American economy locally and globally, the possible effects of some tendencies that exist in the US etc. I have also observed a vast concern with the changes that take place in the US, especially those pertaining to such controversial policies as Homeland Security and No Child Left Behind.

It was interesting to know that the Ukraine’s Orange Revolution received a comprehensive coverage in the American media. Yet the current political situation in Ukraine seems to be of no interest for the American public, and is no how reflected in the national newscasts.

This was a short but a remarkable experience that helped me reassess my knowledge of the American culture and gain a deeper understanding of myself. I think revisiting your host community is one of those “must to” things in every alumnus’ life.

Ismayil Khayredinov (FLEX ’02, Simferopol, Ukraine, Quitman, GA)
Nov 27, 2006

PS This trip has become possible due to my involvement in IREX administered Ukraine Media Partnership Program where I serve as a freelance interpreter for two groups of Ukrainian journalists visiting their US counterparts.

No comments: