Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Betrayal

Finally done! I have been trying to finish this book for two months, but had virtually no time. The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy is officially in the 'read and liked' section of my library. This book was just great.

Pat Conroy took me back to my school years and reminded me about the good, the bad and the ugly of my strange days in the all-boys boarding school that I have attended. While reading, I made certain parallels, and found numerous similarities. It wasn't a military school, yet it had its own unwritten code of honor, system of subordinance and discipline. It wasn't as harsh or crude, yet it hold everyone to high moral (and physical) standards.

One part of the book that really touched me was the honor violation committed by Pig, when he was caught trying to siphon gasoline from his friend's car. The consequences he faced and the way he was disgraced were troubling - he was expelled from the school, and has become the one, whose name was not to be spoken ever again.

The abuse of trust is something that I was always afraid of. In friendship, I long for mutual understanding and high level of trust. I hate being cheated on. To my regret, I have been betrayed and I was greatly hurt.

At some point in high school, we have started observing an increased number of money missing from our lockers. That was troubling and it was continuing for some time, before we decided to take some action. My tutor resorted to my help and using certain tricks, we have managed to find out who the 'rat' was. It was my good friend, who I forgave, and he was never aware of the fact that I knew. Our friendship continued, and I actually stopped thinking about the past accident, when a stealing happened again - he stole from another friend of ours just before both of them came to visit my house. When we were back to school, I was really mad, and I never talked to the guy again. What he did was pitiful and pathetic, and I did not respect myself for giving this person a second chance.

Since then I have become more cautious with who I make friends with, yet I can never be sure. This guy never stole a penny from me, but he did from every other classmate of ours. This lesson was useful, but it had a very painful price.


Picture: (c) Ashley 'Ariarnith Silver Flame' Mutek (http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/a/s/ashleym/betrayal.jpg.html)

No comments: