Saturday, March 10, 2007

Pretension to freedom

No matter where we go, the epitomes of hypocrisy seem to be surrounding us nonetheless. This afternoon I witnessed an occurrence that entrenched my belief that freedom is a matter of double standards, especially in a country like Ukraine.

I was approaching the central square, when my attention was caught by a squad of some 100 young people “besieging” the statue of Lenin. You do not often get to see that many youngsters dressed “casual underground” chilling next to the headman of the world proletariat. Despite my disregard of people with no priorities in life, I had nothing against these people enjoying themselves on this warm spring day in the downtown area. There were no signs of public disorder, unless causing curiosity is a public offense.

I was astonished when police approached the group instructing them to leave. I would take it easy were I in Belarus, where a gathering of over two people is a political rally. It certainly was not one (these people did not seem to be expressing or at least having some political stands). I wouldn’t even treat it as an unsanctioned demonstration – it looked flash mob more than anything else. Youngsters left, picking up all their trash, and looked really disappointed.

My question is whether these people would be granted more rights were they dressed differently? And why do stereotypes broaden or curtail the extents of freedoms? And can we build a sustainable democracy while applying heuristics to our routine decisions?

No comments: