Saturday, February 3, 2007

Boycotting the Normal

Augusten Burroughs is my new star. His Running with Scissors is absolutely adorable. I came across a paragraph that matches exactly what I feel at certain times:


I told myself, All I want is a normal life. But was that true? I wasn’t so sure.
Because there was a part of me that enjoyed hating school, and the drama of not
going, the potential consequences whatever they were. I was intrigued by the
unknown. … Have I become addicted to crisis? I traced my finger along the
windowsill. Want something normal, want something normal, want something normal,
I told myself.


After reading this paragraph I came to realize that so many people around me think I am not normal. I do at times want to be normal, yet I have no idea what normal is. I totally understand that the category of normality is very subjective, but I feel that for many people normality equals to mainstream, something socially acceptable. There are so many underground things about me that if I started I would spent all of my life trying to change. The thing is, I do not want to waste my lifetime trying to be like others.

I realize that I choose to be different. I strive for individuality. Personality is not something to be dictated by the society, but rather something you decide to be. I guess one thing I would change is the perception of people. I do not want to appear weird to them, I want them to realize how and why I am different. I want to come up as shocking, not as a wacko.

No comments: