Monday, February 12, 2007

Literary thirst

It is too unfortunate that I do not own a copy of the Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs, otherwise it would have found its honorary place in my personal library. This book would certainly deserve to be referred to as funny if it were not for its gruesomeness. Burroughs did certainly master the art of coping with the memory of his own pathetic childhood by means of sarcasm. He should certainly be credited for his courage of exposing his deprived childhood of an abused kid in such a humorous manner. The moral is that the book is great, but I would not want to have lived Burroughs’ life at any given episode.

As I have finished reading it, I have realized that I ran out of books, so I had to choose something to reread. Out of all the books, I picked Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevskyy. After reading a few chapters, it no longer seems as a right choice – too heavy of a reading for a person working on his school papers. Classic’s archaic language is certainly not something I want to deal with after a few hours of in-depth systems analysis or Pareto decision making criteria.

No comments: