Monday, February 5, 2007

Mystification

In her last e-mail, Irina (my pen-pal I wrote about before) asked me a puzzling question: Who is a friend - is it someone you need, or someone who needs you? I really have no idea what a right answer would be or if there is an answer at all.

I referred to WikiQuotes to see what the holders of wisdom had to say and it gave me an impression that friendship has been deified to an extent that it lost its realness – it has become platonic and unreachable. It looks like the people of the great knowledge endowed friendship with some mystical sense, and wasted thoughts trying to demystify it. Why are we always looking for something more than what it is?

Irina’s question prompted me to think about my friends in terms of needs. It is peculiar how I can actually classify my friends according to their need of me or my need of them. Sounds rather mercantile and egoistic, but as long as it is honest such an exercise carries a practical value. At least it helps you to identify special friendships, find those people who need you as much as you need them.

No comments: