Saturday, February 17, 2007

I *heart* peace

You never expect it, yet it comes and intimidates you either you want it or not. It has a tendency of bugging you at the most inconvenient time. It falls under a category of “unwanted surprises”. It doesn’t care where you are and what you do; it simply waits till you encounter it. It forces you to do things against your will.

It was there in my mailbox waiting to ruin my day. Had I known what it was, I would throw it away, and claim that it did never reach me. Once the envelope was unsealed, I was summoned to appear at the military enlistment office on a given day at a given time.

One disadvantage of living in a pseudo-democratic country is the military draft. Though the parliament has passed a law designed to reform the army system, it still doesn’t apply to people of my age. It will only come into its full effect in 2010, when the army will transform into a contract-based service. Until then, I somehow have to escape the luck of wasting one year of my life “serving” the values I do not share.

Two major arguments against my going to the army are: 1. I do not believe in orders, and do not respect people who follow them blindly; 2. I am against any form of violence, or any action that implies violence. I do not think I want to enjoy the punishments for being able to analyze the level of stupidity of a given order. Not mentioning the dreadful conditions that soldiers live in.

No comments: