Friday, February 2, 2007

Revenge and Forgiveness

Just finished watching one of the most thoughtful movies I have ever seen. This time it was The Interpreter with Nicole Kidman. The only word I can find to describe the movie is WOW!

The central idea of the movie is revenge vs. forgiveness. The central question is whether revenge to be considered courage and forgiveness to equal cowardice… An everlasting question that I have addressed myself with on multiple occasions.

One of the thoughts that I found to be amazing was the Ku wisdom. This Central African belief says that when you tie an enemy who hurt you to a tiny boat and let it sail till the person drowns, you have two choices. You either let the person die and spend the rest of your life mourning, or swim out and save your enemy – to admit that the life is not always just, to make a discovery that will help you dismiss your sorrow.

I have no knowledge of the Ku culture and people, yet this little wisdom wants me to be part of them. This approach is what I have been practicing all my life. I never let people drown, I was always there to give a hand – even to people who have hurt my feelings. Ability to forgive is a part of my personality. For better or for worse, I feel better when I know that I have stopped someone from drowning.

No comments: