Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Unbearable lightness of … future

The whole media coverage of the global warming and its consequences is leading us some place wrong. Every time I hear an apocalypse scenario, I ask myself whether or not I should go and commit a suicide immediately, or wait for a few more years before my life is taken by a natural disaster? No arguments needed - the question is pathetic (though I make it sound sarcastic). On the other hand, the cynicism of the media does not urge me to go and take action. Every new story just reinforces the feeling of hopelessness and discourages any attempt to contribute towards the change.




Surely, we should hear and know about the anthropogenic damage to the planet. Yet we should be left with a feeling of guiltiness, not hopelessness. With every new report we should be sacrificing the habits that kill the planet. Every other story should force us to give up our luxuries. Yet we nod in unison, as to acknowledge the dusk of the civilization, and keep working on making this world an unlivable place for our grandchildren.

In my globalistics classes, I challenge my professor with my deep skepticism. The ideas of globalistics seem very subjective and lack justifications. Yet, one thing I came to realize while writing this is that globalistics believes in some resolution of the current critical state. There no answer to what the resolution should be, but at least dieing with hope is better than dieing despair.

No comments: