Saturday, February 17, 2007

Woe from wit

This one ingenious quote is often sufficient to provide a comprehensive analysis of certain political phenomena. It belongs to Griboyedov, renowned Russian classic with a fine sense of humor, who ridiculed officials of his era profoundly.

I subconsciously refer to this quote once a week, when I receive my news magazine and get a grasp of what claptrap our politicians were up to. This week was no exception; in fact, it was a major exception, as national interests and state property suffered no substantial damage. The government was too busy trying to persuade the people that utilizing Ukrainian pipeline system jointly with Russia will do much more good, whereas the opposition was blocking the parliament trying to prevent a strategic mistake – Gazprom should have no more control than it already has.

One of the columnists made a wonderful parallel with physics, and wrote that “the people are busy evaluating the performance coefficient of their votes”. I have no idea how efficient my vote was, but I am sure its performance coefficient is rather low :(

No comments: