Friday, February 2, 2007

The Stone Age marketing mix

One of my British friends taught me a great expression: Does it say bitch across my forehead? Unfortunately, I had a desire to use this phrase too many times over the past few days.

I got this new job that requires me to go door-knocking from store to store offering a product that they have no desire of dealing with. Honestly, I do not blame them… I would not want to handle all the paper work and headaches that this product brings along to their stores.

The problem is though in how I am being treated and the way the owners of these stores imply superiority over me, having no idea of who I am. Over the past two days at this new job, I came across so much rudeness and disrespect that it makes me wonder whether our society has ever left the Stone Age…

There is no doubt that our businesses are striving for free markets. Don’t get me wrong, they want their markets to be free of competition and reasonable profit margins, free of customer service and business ethics, free of regulations and basic laws of economics.

Well, if you ever make it to the point of starting a business in this country, you certainly deserve to put aside your I’m-being-nice mask and join the club of the careless.

No comments: